WIDMER BROTHERS UNVEILS FRESH NEW LOOK
March 31, 2011
Craft Brewing Pioneer Showcases Beers and Encourages the Use of a Glass
PORTLAND, Ore. – March 31, 2011 – With nearly 30 years of brewing history, Widmer Brothers Brewing has unveiled a fresh new look. The new packaging design highlights many things that are important to the brewery, starting with the beer itself and how Widmer Brothers believes it is best enjoyed – in a glass. The packaging celebrates Widmer Brothers’ history of brewing unique takes on classic beer styles, use of non-traditional ingredients and the talented brewing team behind the beer.
Widmer Brothers’ new look also illustrates the brewery’s overall approach to beer and brewing, “We take brewing seriously but never want to take ourselves too seriously,” said Rob Widmer, brother and co-founder of Widmer Brothers. “We wanted the packaging to respect the beer but not be too formal, and we wanted to celebrate our awesome brewers by highlighting their signatures on the package.”
New Packaging Features:
• Widmer Brothers’ History: Designed to share Rob and Kurt Widmer’s passion for beer, the new packaging includes a narrative of the brewery’s journey from a basement brewery to one of the leading craft brewers in the country.
• Beer Style: Widmer Brothers’ new look features a brief overview of the beer style and the inspiration that helped create it.
• Brewers’ Signatures: Highlighting the talented, creative brewers that make up the Widmer Brothers team, each package now includes the signature of a member of the brewing team that brings these beers to fruition.
• Recommended Glass: Widmer Brothers believes that its beers are best enjoyed in a glass. For quick reference, the packaging features imagery of the beer in its recommended glass type.
• Flavor Points: The packaging now highlights flavor points designed to help consumers select beers that they will love.
• Ingredients/Profile: Widmer Brothers’ new look offers a detailed list of ingredients as well as the original gravity, alcohol by volume, apparent extract, IBU and color information.
“This year is an exciting one for Widmer Brothers. The growing craft beer movement persists across the nation, and we’re thrilled to continue pushing the innovation envelope through our beers,” said Kurt Widmer, brother and co-founder of Widmer Brothers Brewing. “At Widmer Brothers, we encourage our brewers to be creative in their interpretation of beer styles; as a result, we produce beer we love and we hope others will love, too.”
From the beginning, Widmer Brothers has worked hard to keep the craft beer category creative, experimental and innovative. The brewery has focused less on brewing to style and more on creating unique interpretations of beer styles with the intent of helping people discover and share the beers. The brewery’s new look is part of a larger strategy which will include the release of several new brews and programs in 2011.
About Widmer Brothers Brewing
What started as a dream for two ordinary brothers who just loved beer has now become a reality for two ordinary brothers who still just love beer. Kurt and Rob Widmer helped lead the Pacific Northwest craft beer movement in 1984 when, in their 20s, they dreamed of brewing American interpretations of authentic European-style beers. In 1986, Widmer Brothers Brewing introduced the first American-style Hefeweizen; today, the unfiltered cloudy beer is the company’s signature brew and one of the best selling wheat beers in the country. Based in Portland, Ore., the brewery currently brews a variety of beers including Drifter Pale Ale, Nelson Imperial IPA, Drop Top Amber Ale and Pitch Black IPA. For more information about Widmer Brothers Brewing, visit www.widmerbrothers.com.